Lutheran Social Services of Montana is a private non-profit organization, which has developed these criteria in cooperation with St. John’s Lutheran Ministries and the Montana Synod of the ELCA. While each adoption is handled on a case-by-case basis, the eligibility requirements for LSS’s domestic adoption program include the following:
- You must be a married couple residing in the State of Montana
- You must have been married for at least 2 years by the time we complete your home study
- You must be mentally and physically healthy as documented by a physician’s report, background checks, and references
- You must be willing to participate in the adoption process as practiced by LSS-MT, which includes openness and communication with birth families
Also, please note the following preferences for placement:
- Preference will be given to childless couples or those who have one other child in the family
- Preference will be given to couples who are active within a Christian community of faith and who recognize the importance of faith development within the life of a child.
Eligibility criteria for contract adoptions and international adoptions might vary based on a variety of factors including agency and country regulations.